Wednesday 28 May 2014

Rainbow Frittata


Sometimes our world seems to crash. Whenever I open the newspaper or watch the news, I cannot help but feel depressed: bombs, bad economy, corruption. The list of tragedies goes on and on.

My only recipe for making the world a better place is to try and live as well as I can, to try to be the best person I can be. Both my men can tell you that I lapse many times. But I know that occasionally I manage to bring a smile to their faces. Our home is generally a peaceful and welcoming place; my son knows he can always invite his friends over – also on short notice. When somebody drops in, I am always able to offer lunch or dinner. It might not be an elaborate dish, but even on a rainy day I normally have a pasta sauce or two stashed away in my freezer.

In case I don’t want to make pasta, a frittata is a great way of dishing up a tasty and healthy meal in no time at all. Basically, a frittata is the Italian version of the French omelette. With one big difference: An omelette is cooked only on one side, while the frittata is flipped or finished under the grill. Like pizza, anything goes with a frittata. You can use every kind of vegetables, herbs, cheese, fish and shellfish, bacon, sausage and salami slices. Only one ingredient remains the same. You cannot make frittata without eggs.

I call the recipe here Rainbow frittata, because I tried to use as many different coloured vegetables as possible. This recipe is only a guideline. Just take whatever you have in the kitchen, throw the ingredients into a pan and spill some eggs over the mixture. In most cases you can enjoy a delicious, light meal.

Wishing you happy cooking, always!

Kornelia Santoro with family

 

Rainbow Frittata

Ingredients (for 4 servings):

  • 6 eggs
  • 1 big carrot
  • 1 medium beetroot
  • 1 bundle spring onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 bundle parsley
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Method:

Clean and chop the spring onions. Crush the garlic. Peel and grate the carrot and the beetroot. Wash the parsley and chop it.

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Fry the spring onions, the carrot and the beetroot over a low fire until they are soft, around three to four minutes. While the vegetables are getting done, crack the eggs into a bowl and season them with salt and pepper. Mix the eggs well with a fork.

Add the parsley and the garlic to the vegetables and fry for another minute. Spread the egg mixture over the vegetables and cover the pan with a lid.

When the egg has largely set, flip the frittata or finish it under the grill. All my pans have plastic handles, that’s why I always flip my frittata. This is a bit tricky, but not as difficult as it sounds. I loosen the border of the frittata with a spatula and make sure that it does not stick to the pan. Then I place a flat plate over the pan and turn it. Now the frittata should be in one piece on your plate. From the plate I slide the frittata back into the pan and give it another two minutes.

If you use the grill, just place the pan under the grill and wait that the egg-mixture takes on a lovely, bronze colour. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment