Thursday, 27 February 2014
Jerky, a snack packed with proteins
Ingredients (for 8 servings):
- 1 kilogram lean beef or chicken breasts
- ½ cup soya sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons honey
- Cut the meat into thin stripes not thicker than 5 mm.
- Mix the soya sauce, the Worcestershire sauce and the honey in an airtight container.
- Add the meat stripes to the marinade.
- Let it marinate for at least one day. Also two or three days in the marinade don’t hurt.
- Now comes the tricky part: Cover a cookie sheet well with aluminum foil. Spread the meat stripes over a rack.
- Place the rack into the oven with the aluminum covered cookie sheet under it. Marinade and meat juices will drop down and burn. Without the foil, you would have to clean up a really bad mess.
- Turn on the heat as low as possible.
- Keep the oven door ajar with the help of two wooden spoons. You just need it a slit open so the humidity can escape and the heat does not build up too much.
- Dry the meat stripes for at least two hours. Don’t be alarmed by a burnt odor in the beginning. This is the marinade dripping down and burning off on the aluminum foil.
- Let the jerky cool down and keep it in an airtight container.